Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cleanse Update: And...The End. Maybe Not.

So to recap, I undertook a two-week whole foods cleanse/de-tox on October 1st. I retained a coach for this cleanse, who provided me with many recipes and daily food for thought and phone check-ins. The food I made was tasty and filling and 'normal' (stuffed zuchhini boats, chickpea patties), and the cleanse was full-spectrum, for it included a ban on TV, news, and evening computer use; it also included yoga and meditation. Oh, and powerful, wonderful tea. I want to call it a great cleanse, overall, despite the fact for three of the fourteen days my thighs, hips, and back hurt so badly I thought I had the flu, followed by, three days later, two days of intense congestion, which made me think I had a cold. The update on the latter is that, no, I did not have a cold, for it never went to my lungs and never knocked me out. The congestion literally cleared up overnight. Wow. Powerful.

So what's next? Well, the day after breaking the cleanse, just yesterday--I had sashimi and side salad at a nice restaurant--I gave thought to continuing the cleanse. Perhaps not 100%, but I have the energy and desire to keep eating whole foods primarily. Why?

*Because I'm stunned how hard and effectively my body worked during the cleanse to rid itself of toxins and unneeded junk; I suspect there is more cleansing I can do.

*Because I have learned to tell the difference between hunger and blood sugar wackiness. I get easily lightheaded a couple hours after I eat. In the past, I would eat something, even if I was not hungry. Now, I drink this phenomenal sugar balancing tea. Voila, as they say in France! Pas de problem.

*Because I did drop some unwanted pounds and have some more to shed. I realized from this cleanse I don't have to starve or feel deprived in order to lose unnecessary fat!

*Because it was 'real.' It was menu planning, shopping, food prep, discipline, and the felt joy of eating simply and being mindful of all we put into our body.

Of course, I'm going to a swanky wedding tonight. If I have a little cake or a bit of champagne, I'll be all right with it, for I accomplished a big thing already, and tomorrow is a new day!

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I have enjoyed reading your blog thus far. I have not read it entirely, but I do have a few questions. What types of food did you eat during your cleansing period? Also, was it difficult for you to keep up with or obey the rules of your cleanse? I believe that I would personally find it difficult to stick to what seems would be a rather strict food regiment. I admire your willpower and am very curious to see what the future holds for you!

    ReplyDelete